COLUMBUS, Ohio (Purdue Sports) — No. 17 Purdue (17-5, 7-4 B1G) outperformed Ohio State (11-11, 4-7 B1G) in seven statistical categories to defeat the Buckeyes in three sets (25-16, 25-17, 25-22) at St. John Arena. The road win for Purdue is the first time since 2012 the Boilermakers took down Ohio State on its home floor.
"I thought our team played very well tonight," said head coach Dave Shondell. "Game one was probably the best set we've had all season. We hit .615, only one hitting error, served really tough and just set the tone for the match the way we played."
Purdue hit .322 while holding Ohio State to a .121 hitting percentage and siding out at 73-percent to control the match. The Boilermakers' offense set the tone in the first set, hitting .615 with 17 kills, including an 11-4 run to finish off the set. Despite the strong start by the offense, it was the defense that stepped up in the final two stanzas as the Buckeyes hit just .000 and .086 in the second and third set.
Ashley Evans registered one of Purdue's four service aces and set the offense on 36 of its 41 kills, finding Sherridan Atkinson and Caitlyn Newton 10 times each. The pair of pin hitters hit .405 with Atkinson hitting .471 to complement a pair of blocks. The performance by Newton marks the freshman's first collegiate match with kills in double figures as she hit .350. Danielle Cuttino and Azariah Stahl combined for 15 kills and three blocks while Blake Mohler hit .571 with five kills on the night. Stahl added seven digs, a block and an ace. Mohler led Purdue's blocking efforts with three and the Boilermakers out-blocked the Buckeyes 7-3.
Carissa Damler led the defense with eight digs in the match while libero Brooke Peters finished the night with six digs and an ace. Jena Otec aced Ohio State as well with four digs to her credit. Purdue out-dug the Buckeyes 37-33 and was not aced in the contest.
The Boilermakers look to win their third straight match Sunday, Oct. 29, at 1 p.m. ET in College Park, Maryland, against the Terrapins.
- Purdue volleyball handles Ohio State in three sets
- Purdue volleyball outlasts Indiana in five sets
- Streaking Purdue takes down Ohio State 79-67
- Purdue volleyball stuns No. Minnesota
- Purdue volleyball defeats Oakland, 3-1
- Purdue volleyball edged by Maryland in five sets
- No. 19 Purdue volleyball tops Louisville in five-set thriller
- No. 17 Purdue volleyball falls to No. 9 Penn State in four sets
- Purdue volleyball rallies, upsets No. 4 Penn State in five sets
- Versyp earns record-setting Big Ten win in Purdue's 60-42 rout of Ohio State