TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Charges have been filed against the man alleged to have shot his friend in the chest last Thursday.
According to court documents, police were called to the scene of a reported shooting at a Meadowbrook Drive home on Oct. 19 at around 5 p.m.
Barbara Vande Brake had called 911 and stated that her son, 24-year-old Samuel Vande Brake, had allegedly shot his friend in the basement of her house.
When police arrived, Barry Vande Brake was providing first aid to the victim of the shooting, Tristan Fernandez, until an ambulance could arrive. Fernandez was taken to a local hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound to his chest.
Barry and Barbara described Samuel and Tristan as being friends, explaining that they had moved into their basement after returning from living in Colorado.
She also told police that Samuel has planned to kick Fernandez out of the residence and that she had heard the sounds of an argument between the two just before hearing the shot.
During an interview with the police, Fernandez said he had been packing his things in the basement after Samuel told him to move out earlier that day.
He described to police that he had gotten into an altercation with Samuel who allegedly pointed a gun at his chest. Fernandez said that he pushed the gun away and told Samuel not to point it at him. He added that the last thing he remembered before going numb was hearing a loud popping sound.
Fernandez said that he considered Samuel a friend and seemed confused by the entire shooting incident.
Brake has been charged with aggravated battery, battery by means of a deadly weapon, battery resulting in serious bodily injury, and criminal recklessness.
- Charges filed against man in Meadowbrook Drive shooting case
- Neighbors react to Meadowbrook shooting
- Charges filed against Lafayette man in sexual assault case
- Drug charges filed against Rensselaer man
- Federal charges filed against Lafayette man
- Charges filed against drug suspects
- Charges filed after broken vodka bottle leads to shooting
- Officer shoots armed student at high school, charges filed
- Homeless man charged in stabbing case sentenced
- Multiple drug charges filed against man on house arrest