TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A man found guilty of attempted murder has been sentenced to 40 years in prison.
Earlier this year, Diamonte W. Baker, 25, was found guilty of nine felonies including attempted murder and battery by means of a deadly weapon.
It began on Jan. 22 at around 8:30 a.m. when officers from the Lafayette Police Department responded to the 600 block of South 24th Street on a report of a domestic disturbance. When officers arrived, they found a woman who had been stabbed and was covered in blood.
Court records state the woman suffered an 8-inch cut to the neck and a large cut on her back. She was bleeding heavily when police arrived.
Both the female victim and Baker were taken to area hospitals with stab wounds.
Baker was released from the hospital and arrested. The woman remained in the hospital with a lacerated liver that required surgery.
According to court records, Baker and the victim told police someone broke into the apartment and stabbed both of them.
The victim later stated that Baker had stabbed himself multiple times and made up a story about another person coming over and stabbing them.
She said that Baker tried to convince her to go along with the story and that she initially cooperated out of fear Baker would kill her.
Baker has a criminal history including two felonies from 2009 and 2010 in Marion County.
He has been sentenced to 40 years with the Indiana Department of Corrections.
A full list of Baker's charges is below:
- Attempted murder
- Aggravated battery
- Battery by means of a deadly weapon
- Domestic battery by means of a deadly weapon
- Battery resulting in serious bodily injury
- Domestic battery resulting in serious bodily injury
- Criminal recklessness
- False informing
- Man gets 40 years for attempted murder
- Attempted murderer gets 64 years in prison
- WL man charged with attempted murder sentenced to 30 years
- Man arrested facing attempted murder charge
- Lafayette man found guilty of attempted murder
- Lafayette man sentenced for attempted murder
- Indiana man convicted of attempted murder in explosives case
- Lafayette man found not guilty of attempted murder during robbery
- Attempted murder defendant almost represents himself
- Jail inmate found guilty of attempted murder