LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — We're learning new information about a shooting Thursday night. The Tippecanoe County Sheriff's Office says it landed one person in the hospital. Now, neighbors are speaking out about what they saw.
The shooting happened in the 1200 block of Meadowbrook Drive at around 5 p.m. just outside of Lafayette city limits. That's near State Road 26 and Veterans Memorial Parkway.
Tristan Fernandez was taken to IU Arnett Hospital with a single gunshot wound to his upper body. Neighbors News 18 spoke with say it was a wake-up call.
Deputies were called to the house on Meadowbrook Drive, where they found one person who had been shot.
Steve Vonderheide lives right around the corner.
"It's kind of a shock. Like I said, everybody in the neighborhood's very nice and it's a safe neighborhood and when you hear something like that it's kind of a shock," said Vonderheide. "We came home from Indy around 7 o'clock and there was still about five cop cars, sheriff cars outside just kind of waiting."
Patty Siener was on her way home from the veterinarian. She said, "Meadowbrook is a fabulous neighborhood. It's very sad that this happened. I stopped and talked to my neighbor and they said that they thought there was a shooting but that they weren't sure."
She knew the family that lives there and said, "I pray that the family heals and that all those involved are able to overcome this."
Edward Trinosky didn't learn about the shooting until he turned on the TV Friday morning.
"The phones started ringing. Some of the kids started calling wanting to know what was going on," said Trinoksy.
He says you just never know where these kind of things are going to happen, "Even though the neighborhood's quiet and peaceful things happen. You hear it on the news all over."
No arrests have been made, but investigators did question people. There is still no word on the extent of the injuries but Fernandez is still in the hospital, where he is stable.
Sheriff Barry Richard said the Sheriff's Office is currently working with the Prosecutor's Office on the case.
- Neighbors react to Meadowbrook shooting
- Charges filed against man in Meadowbrook Drive shooting case
- Neighbors react to LPD homicide investigation
- Neighbors react to body pulled from Tippecanoe River
- Neighbors recall weekend shooting in Benton Co.
- Local lawmakers react to Noblesville school shooting
- Neighbors react to Lafayette drug bust that recovered 7 pounds of meth
- Neighbors react to Lafayette’s first homicide in Hart St. home
- Neighbor records video post-shooting in Montgomery County
- Neighbors concerned over proposed subdivision