AUBURN, Ind. (WLFI) — The search for a missing child from Auburn has been canceled.
At around 7:27 a.m. Wednesday morning, the Auburn Police Department issued an alert after 2-year-old, Kevin Wayne Craig, had gone missing.
He was last seen at around 3 a.m. early Wednesday and was thought to be in extreme danger.
It was believed that he had been abducted by 28-year-old Dale Craig.
At 7:53 p.m., police canceled the alert reporting that the child was safe and the suspect was in custody.
No charges are expected against the suspect as police learned he actually did have custodial rights and may have taken the child to protect him from a domestic situation.
Craig and his son Kevin were found in DeKalb County, shortly after the alert was issued.
Police say Craig had cuts on his arm which he says were caused by the boy's mother.
She first called police to report a kidnapping and allegedly told them Craig didn't have rights to the boy, which turned out to be false.
There's no word yet on whether she could face charges. DCS is looking into the welfare of Kevin and three other children in the home.
- Subject of Auburn Amber Alert found safe
- Statewide Amber Alert cancelled for 3 children
- UPDATE: AMBER Alert cancelled for Leanna Herron
- Statewide Amber Alert for 9-year-old boy canceled
- UPDATE: Statewide AMBER Alert canceled for one-year-old girl
- Missing Lafayette woman found safe
- UPDATE: Subject of Lafayette police standoff identified
- UPDATE: Missing Lafayette 12-year-old found safe
- Missing girls from Carroll County found safe
- Missing Newton Co. teen found safe