FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) — A woman has been sentenced to 17 years in prison for fatally shooting her boyfriend while inside a Fort Wayne motel room with their 10-year-old son.
An Allen County judge ordered the prison time Wednesday for 36-year-old Natasha Reed in the April shooting death of 36-year-old Allen Bolton Jr. Reed pleaded guilty to a voluntary manslaughter charge in a deal with prosecutors, who dropped murder charges against her.
The shooting happened while the family was staying at a Ramada Inn near Interstate 69 on the city's north side.
Authorities say Reed and her son told investigators that she shot Bolton while the couple was arguing. Reed told police that she didn't mean to shoot Bolton, but said he was mean to her and called her fat and an embarrassment.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Woman sentenced for fatal shooting at Fort Wayne motel
- 3 dead in Fort Wayne shooting
- Frankfort woman sentenced for involvement in fatal crash
- Medical device supplier plans Fort Wayne expansion
- IPFW officially becomes Purdue University Fort Wayne
- Harris, Purdue crush Purdue Fort Wayne 78-44
- Purdue dispatches Purdue Fort Wayne 11-2
- Fort Wayne police searching for suspect in fatal gas station robbery
- Teen gets 64 years for fatal shooting of Indiana woman
- Woman sentenced in Speedway robbery