JASPER COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — A wanted man tried to run from police Thursday by hiding in a cornfield.
Police say at around 2 p.m., the Jasper County Sheriff's Office received information from a Kentland marshal that he was in pursuit of a truck.
The marshal lost sight of the truck shortly after sending the report.
Around 20 minutes later, a Jasper County Sheriff's Deputy spotted a truck matching the description of the reported vehicle.
The truck was clocked speeding over 100 miles per hour in the area of County Road 1000 West and 200 South.
The deputy tried to overtake the truck but the driver veered into a cornfield on the north side of County Road 100 South and disappeared from sight.
A Sheriff's unit followed the path taken into the cornfield and found the truck abandoned with a female passenger still inside.
The passenger said that the driver had kept her from leaving the vehicle, allegedly striking her in the face and telling her to shut up.
She was treated for injuries she suffered from glass that had broken when the truck entered the field at a high rate of speed.
A Sheriff's drone was then brought onto the scene and an aerial search began for the driver.
Within minutes he was found running southbound in the cornrows and was arrested by deputies without incident.
The driver has been confirmed by police as Dale V. Sanders, 45, of Wolcott. He is wanted in Warren and Tippecanoe counties on multiple charges including resisting law enforcement in each.
Sanders is being held on preliminary charges of resisting law enforcement using a vehicle, and criminal confinement.
- Police use drone to find wanted Wolcott man in cornfield
- Wolcott Holds 50th Summer Festival
- Wolcott teachers and students walk for public school funding
- A "sweet" new business is set to open in Wolcott
- Drone technology helps find runaway teens
- Fall Camp Frenzy: Hopes are high in Wolcott for Tri-County
- Purdue drone experts help advance TSCO drone program
- Drone Demonstration for Purdue Agriculture
- Iran shoots down US drone aircraft
- Police release name of wanted Clinton County man