WHITE COUNTY, Ind (WLFI) — A Monticello fifth-grader's backpack was found to contain a handgun and ammunition on Thursday.
At around 1:12 p.m. police say a School Resource Officer contacted the Twin Lakes School Superintendent to notify him that a teacher had found a handgun in a student's backpack at the Meadowlawn Elementary School.
An officer met with the superintendent and recovered a 0.380 caliber handgun and ammunition.
A ten-year-old student in the fifth grade at Meadowlawn Elementary has been detained while the investigation continues.
No threats were made to anyone and no injuries were reported.
The Monticello Police commends the quick action and cooperation of the staff at the school.
The case is being forwarded to the White County Prosecutor's office.
News 18 will stay on this story as more information becomes available.
- Handgun and ammo found in student's backpack
- Indiana lawmakers consider state handgun licensing repeal
- 200 guns, ammo, swords seized in Terre Haute man's home
- LPD officer on leave, accused of selling department-owned ammo
- Hanna Center presents 6th annual backpack giveaway
- Indiana panel could back eliminating state handgun licensing
- Indiana House panel drops proposed handgun licensing repeal
- Indiana House backs bill eliminating handgun licensing fee
- First Backpack Splash gets Tippecanoe County students ready for a new school year
- LPD officer charged with theft after being accused of selling department ammo