CHANDLER, Ind. (AP) — Authorities say a 4-year-old girl and her father have died in an apparent kayaking accident in southwestern Indiana.
The Indiana Department of Natural Resources says Vivian Varner and 33-year-old Joshua Varner of Newburgh were kayaking Thursday evening at Blue Grass Fish and Wildlife Area. A family member called 911 when they didn't return as expected and they were found floating in the water.
The DNR says Joshua Varner was pronounced dead at the scene in Warrick County while Vivian was taken to a hospital and was pronounced dead.
A kayak belonging to them was found capsized in the water. The DNR says they weren't wearing life jackets and it's not immediately known what caused the kayak to capsize.
The deaths are under investigation.
- 4-year-old girl, father dead in Indiana kayaking accident
- Authorities find missing man's kayak in Indiana river search
- 4-year-old Lebanon girl shot by 3-year-old brother dies
- Man accused of molesting 4-year-old girl in her bed
- Divers searching for kayaker near Monticello
- Defense seeks 4-year prison sentence for ex-Indiana sheriff
- One man dead after ice fishing accident
- Body of missing South Bend kayaker found along Lake Michigan
- Body of missing kayaker on Tippecanoe River found
- Man's body recovered following Indiana canoe accident