LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Teams from the Greater Lafayette Area will test their endurance over a 24 hour time period while raising funds for children in need.
A CASA is a Court Appointed Special Advocate who speaks up for abused and neglected children in the Tippecanoe County court system. There were more than 700 children who had advocates last year. The funds raised by the cycling challenge will go straight to the kids, making it possible for the kids to prosper while at home.
One team isn't just riding to support CASA and the kids.
Team Steve Hill is riding to honor their team leader Steve Hill who died suddenly from a heart attack in May. Hill was an avid cyclist and a CASA volunteer. He encouraged friends and family to join his team for the challenge each year. He even recruited his fiancee, Michelle Newman.
“It was Steve who introduced me to it. I was engaged to Steve and last year he asked me if I would ride in the event with him.” Newman said. “It was fun, I'm sure he would have ridden a lot faster if it weren't for me.”
Newman and the team will be cycling honoring Steve's memory and legacy of child advocacy.
“He loved kids, he loved animals, he loved everybody.” Newman said. “He was always very thoughtful with other people. He made an impact on my kids' lives, and I hope I can do the same thing with other kids somewhere.”
Val Hilbun is a volunteer with Tippecanoe County CASA. She said there's no better way for the team to honor Hill's legacy of helping kids.
“The fact that the team is going to continue his legacy, there's no better thing you can do in his memory than to continue to do what Steve loved to do, help these kids.” said Hilbun.
The cycling teams will be fundraising until August 9th. The ride will begin at 10 AM on Saturday, August 10th at the SIA test track.
For more information on how to donate to the Cycling Challenge, click here.
For information on how to become a CASA, click here.
- 2019 CASA Cycling Challenge team to honor late volunteer
- 2019 Subaru CASA Cycling Challenge kicks off registration
- Fundraising for 2018 Subaru CASA Cycling challenge begins
- Final week to help a child in need through the CASA Cycling Challenge
- Tippecanoe County CASA seeks more volunteers
- CASA volunteer Mary Hood receives Child Advocacy Award
- Community volunteers honored at the United Way's Volunteer Recognition Luncheon
- CASA volunteers take the oath to help children in Tippecanoe County
- Menstrual cycle tracking will be added to the Apple Watch
- United Way hosts luncheon to honor local volunteers