TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - The National Weather Service has confirmed two tornadoes hit the News 18 viewing area during the severe storms Tuesday evening.
Related: Photos: Strong storms cause damage across the viewing area
No one was injured in either tornado.
The first touched down about 6:30 p.m. about 4 miles north-northeast of Covington in Fountain County. The EF0 tornado had maximum winds of 75 mph and a maximum path width of 75 yards. It traveled for 2.36 miles across cornfields while glancing two homesteads, downing tree branches and overturning a large trash dumpster.
The second hit about 7:11 p.m. about 2 miles southeast of Buck Creek in Tippecanoe County. This EF0 rated tornado had maximum winds of 85 mph and a maximum path width of 40 yards. It traveled for 0.64 miles and affected one homestead and a thin band of trees. Damage at the homestead included barn skylights being blown out from wind entering an east-facing opening, debris from half an outbuilding's roof and collapsed wall sent into an adjacent field, There were also downed tree branches with one breaking a garage window, and the top horizontal portion of a power pole being broken off.
Also, straight-line wind damage was noted south and east of Buck Creek including downed trees and an outbuilding
shifted off its foundation.
The Enhanced Fujita Scale classifies tornadoes into the following categories:
EF0...wind speeds 65 to 85 mph.
EF1...wind speeds 86 to 110 mph.
EF2...wind speeds 111 to 135 mph.
EF3...wind speeds 136 to 165 mph.
EF4...wind speeds 166 to 200 mph.
EF5...wind speeds greater than 200 mph.
- Multiple tornadoes touched down during Tuesday's storm
- NWS confirms tornado a touched down in Tippecanoe County
- Indiana Attorney General accused of inappropriate touching
- New history center adds unique historic touches
- Multiple injuries in 3-vehicle crash
- Multiple schools delayed Friday morning
- McCutcheon musical to touch on topic of human trafficking
- August 3, 1859 Tippecanoe County Tornado
- 2 charged in multiple Lafayette thefts
- UPDATE: Violent felon faces multiple charges