MERRILLVILLE, Ind. (AP) — Police in northwest Indiana say a 35-year-old man is in custody after he allegedly opened fire inside a home, killing his girlfriend's brother and mother.
Merrillville Police Chief Joseph Petruch tells the Chicago Sun-Times the suspect fled after late Tuesday's shootings but was apprehended a short time later after being found hiding in a nearby shed.
Police said formal charges were pending Thursday against the suspect.
Authorities say 27-year-old Ryan Halbe was pronounced dead late Tuesday at a Merrillville hospital. His mother, 55-year-old Candy Marie Halbe, died early Thursday at a Gary hospital.
Both shooting deaths were ruled homicides.
Petruch says the girlfriend and several other people were inside the home at the time of the shootings, but no one else was injured.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Man in custody after 2 people fatally shot in NW Indiana
- NW Indiana man found dead beneath overturned lawn mower
- Police name northern Indiana man fatally shot by deputies
- Authorities: Man fatally shot in Indiana hunting accident
- Holcomb signs bill to replenish eroded NW Indiana beaches
- EPA to update NW Indiana residents on lead, arsenic cleanup
- NW Indiana scrap dealer convicted of razing historic bridge
- Murder charge dropped in fire death of NW Indiana woman
- A man is in custody after report of shot fired
- Kokomo man fatally shot by 11-year-old, police say