KOKOMO, Ind. (WLFI) -- A 15-year-old from Battle Ground has died after a Howard County crash. Police say he was the driver who led police on a fatal car chase Tuesday afternoon.
He's been identified as Travis Abston, Jr. The Howard County coroner pronounced him dead at the scene of the collision on South Dixon Road.
The Tippecanoe School Corporation has confirmed Abston was a student at Harrison High School.
Police say the chase started after they received an alert about a vehicle stolen from Battle Ground. It said the driver was armed and dangerous, and possibly on his way to Kokomo with the intention of hurting someone there.
Just before noon, Kokomo police spotted the stolen vehicle and attempted to make a traffic stop.
A chase began, which ended nearly an hour later in the 500 block of South Dixon Road. The suspect vehicle collided with a black Ford Taurus, killing Abston.
Police say the driver of the other car was taken to Saint Vincent Hospital Kokomo. Their condition is unknown.
"One man in the car right there was crawling out of his vehicle, obviously in pain," said bystander Eric Stovall to our CBS affiliate WTTV. "He was complaining of chest pains, and we ran over there to be with him and just comfort him while we waited for ambulances to arrive. It seems like he'll be alright."
This is still an active investigation and police are asking to speak with anyone who may have information on the situation that led to the chase.
You can contact Officer Troy Hintz at (765)-456-7100, or the Kokomo Police Department hotline at (765)-456-7017.
- Battle Ground teen killed after car chase with police
- Fire rips through Battle Ground home
- Two-Story barn fire in Battle Ground
- Coroner: Battle Ground teen had meth in system during fatal crash
- Battle Ground students get fired up about safety
- Battle Ground woman fights to keep peacocks on her property
- Signs will warn drivers of peacocks in Battle Ground
- Battle Ground man allegedly attacked by hired hand
- Battle Ground Intermediate School hosts annual wax museum
- One-lane bridge in Battle Ground closed for inspection