MONTICELLO, Ind. (WLFI) - The City of Monticello is extending a city wide executive order as the number of COVID-19 cases grows within White County.
According to Monticello Mayor Cathy Gross, White County's confirmed COVID-19 cases doubled over the last week.
As a result, Monticello residents will have to wait a little longer before they see the city's executive order get lifted.
"The steps we are taking now are to protect everyone," said Gross.
Gross said the decision to extend the executive order came after a spike in COVID-19 cases in the county.
"We increased with positive COVID-19 confirmed cases by 50 percent in about 72 hours. That is big," said Gross.
Some regulations have loosened with the new order.
Children under the age of 16 will now be allowed into retail and commercial businesses, but they must be accompanied by a parent.
The number of people allowed in retail locations now aligns with the rest of the state.
Gross said city leaders are working to balance safety while the state gradually reopens.
"We're trying to thread that needle carefully. Working with the Governor's executive order. You know, the reopening is still on track with his reopening," said Gross.
With business opening back up, Police Chief Jason Lingenfelter said people should still be wearing masks whenever they are out.
"We're not directing the arrests and the fines. We're just directing that we try and work for a solution on this," said Lingenfelter.
And Lingenfelter said business can refuse service to those who aren't wearing a mask.
"As we work through this fluidly, continue to wear masks. Obviously there are people that are not going to. Understand these business do have the ability to say no thank you," said Lingenfelter.
Gross said the city will continue to update the executive order on a weekly basis.
The current order will remain in effect through next Wednesday.