Here's what you need to know to Start Your Week Smart.
(You can also get "5 Things You Need to Know Today" delivered to your inbox daily. You give us five minutes, and we give you five things you must know for your weekday, plus a Sunday edition to get your week started smart. Sign up here.)
• Motorsports rev up Memorial Day weekend. The Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix, the Indianapolis 500 and NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 all head for the finish line. Check out CNN's weekend sports guide for the favorites and how to watch.
• Homeland security chief visits Guatemala. Acting Secretary Kevin McAleenan said he'll travel to the home nation of at least five children who died recently after being apprehended in the United States. McAleenan has warned of a humanitarian crisis at the border as vulnerable migrants arrive at US facilities with "inadequate capacity."
• Stanley Cup action gets underway. The St. Louis Blues head to Boston to face the Bruins in Game 1. Watch at 8 p.m. ET on NBC.
• A landmark opioid lawsuit heads to court. Johnson & Johnson, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. and other drugmakers are due to go on trial. They face allegations by Oklahoma's attorney general that they created the public nuisance of a costly addiction crisis by aggressively marketing and selling opioid pain drugs. Purdue Pharma, which makes OxyContin, agreed to settle in the case for $270 million.
• Facebook execs subpoenaed in Canada. CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg have been summoned to appear by a parliamentary panel looking into disinformation and election meddling. The social media giant says it may only send a company representative.
• 'Anthony Bourdain Remembered.' A book of anecdotes and memories of our late CNN colleague hits shelves.
• That buzzing sound is the National Spelling Bee. These young athletes train with a dictionary and a dream. Tune in starting Tuesday, with coverage of the final -- and its $50,000 cash prize -- starting at 8:30 p.m. ET Thursday on ESPN.
• Arab leaders hold an emergency summit. Saudi Arabia's King Salman invited Arab and Gulf state leaders to Mecca to discuss attacks on his country's oil tankers and relations with Iran. More US military resources are set to deploy to the region as tensions rise.
• Another 2020 Democrat faces voters. US Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado is the latest Trump challenger to step into the CNN town hall spotlight. Tune in at 10 p.m. ET.
• More of the Mueller report could be revealed. The Justice Department faces a deadline to make public parts of the special counsel's report related to ex-national security adviser Michael Flynn, plus transcripts of Flynn's conversations with Russians during the Trump transition.
• Disneyland creeps up to the Galaxy's Edge. The "Star Wars"-themed world opens in California. Disney calls it the biggest theme park expansion ever. But without a reservation, you can't ride the Millennium Falcon or dine in a galactic cantina until June 24.
• China slaps tariffs on US products. The retaliatory move is set to hit some $60 billion in US exports, including agricultural, mining and manufactured products. It's a response to the United States more than doubling tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods. Global markets do not like this mounting trade war.
• New York celebrates WorldPride. LGBTQ people and their supporters kick off a month of parties, rallies, teach-ins, sporting events and the arts to mark 50 years since the Stonewall riots. It's one of several worldwide commemorations of the key gay rights rallying point.
- Start your Monday smart: Memorial Day, opioid trial, Arab summit, China trade, Disney
- Start your Monday smart: Veterans Day, nor'easter, 'El Chapo' trial
- Start your Monday smart: US-China trade, Brexit, Pro Bowl, SAG Awards, Groundhog Day
- Start your Monday smart: Golden Globes, US-China trade, big-time football, shutdown, CES
- Start your Monday smart: UN meeting, Korean summit, Polish President, Kavanaugh vote
- Start your Monday smart: Winter storm, Cohen sentencing, Brexit vote, climate summit
- Start your Monday smart: Midterm fever, Saudi summit, Banksy auction, World Series
- Start your Monday smart: Netanyahu, Jayme Closs, China, Apple, March Madness
- Start your Monday smart: A key African election, Paul Manafort's trial and ... NFL football returns
- Start your Monday smart: SEAL trial, Hope Hicks, Guatemala, Canada, 'Toy Story 4'