The body of a woman has been found buried under rubble following an explosion caused by a gas leak in central Paris, bringing the death toll of the disaster to four, a spokesman for the Paris prosecutor told CNN on Sunday.
The blast, which occurred at a bakery at 9 a.m. local time on Saturday, killed two firefighters who were responding reports of the leak, while a Spanish national died hours after the incident in hospital.
Accidents, disasters and safety
Business and industry sectors
Business, economy and trade
Continents and regions
Energy and utilities
Oil and gas industry
Firefighters and firefighting
Labor and employment
Workers and professionals
Food and beverage industry
Food and drink
Restaurant and food service industry
"Profound sadness. Standing by the families of victims. The nation shares in their pain," French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner tweeted after the explosion, adding that 10 people, including a firefighter, were seriously injured and a further 37 were "in a state of relative emergency."
Pictures from the scene, on Rue de Trevise in the 9th arrondissement of the French capital, showed smashed windows and scattered debris across the street, as fire crews evacuated people from apartments above the bakery.
"At this stage, we can tell the origin of the explosion is accidental, a gas leak, but we should remain prudent as an ongoing investigation will determine the causes of this," Heitz said.
Castaner, who visited the scene with Prime Minister Edouarde Philippe and the city's mayor Anne Hidalgo, wrote earlier on Twitter that the toll of victims "will be heavy."
More than 200 firefighters were responding to the incident, Castaner wrote. "My first thoughts go to those injured and their loved ones," he added.
The explosion occurred hours before gilets jaunes (yellow vest) protesters marched through the city for a ninth successive weekend, near the street on which the blast occurred.
Police had earlier advised the public to stay away from the area, and to make space for emergency vehicles.
- Four killed, dozens hurt in Paris bakery explosion
- Police: Gas leak causes explosion in Paris
- Dozens killed as huge explosion rips apart Chinese chemical plant
- 3 dead, dozens missing in Russia explosion
- Standoff barn explosion leaves officer hurt in
- Sheriff: Baby Found Dead After Gas Explosion At Paris Home
- Bakery closing after 116 years in business
- Watch Obama and Biden surprise bakery staff
- At least 73 people killed, dozens injured in Mexico gasoline pipeline explosion
- Explosion near pub in Sapporo, Japan injures dozens