Flights from London's Heathrow Airport were temporarily suspended on Tuesday evening following a drone sighting.
In a statement, a Heathrow Airport spokesperson said the drone was first sighted in the airport's vicinity at approximately 5:05 p.m. local time (12:05 p.m. ET) and that the airport was "working closely with the Met Police to prevent any threat to operational safety."
Aviation and aerospace industry
Business and industry sectors
Business, economy and trade
Airports (by name)
London Heathrow Airport
Points of interest
Transportation and warehousing
Departures were stopped as a "precautionary measure" during the investigation, the spokesperson said.
Some flight departures had resumed by 6:20 p.m., according to the aviation tracking website Flight 24.
Shortly after, a Heathrow Airport spokesperson said that while departures had resumed, they were continuing to monitor the situation and apologized to passengers who had been affected by the "short suspension."
The disruption at Heathrow comes just weeks after drone sightings brought Gatwick Airport to a standstill for 36 hours, affecting the plans of about 150,000 passengers during the busiest travel period of the year. The perpetrators have not yet been caught.
In the wake of Gatwick's drone disruption, UK airports including Heathrow and Gatwick invested millions of pounds in anti-drone technology, according to British media reports.
On Monday, the UK's Department for Transport said the government was moving forward with plans to give police new powers to "tackle drones' misuse and abuse." Under new legislation, police will be given additional powers to land, seize and search drones. Exclusion zones around airports where drones are banned from flying will be extended and drone operators will be required by law to register beginning in November 2019.
Heathrow is currently the world's seventh-busiest airport in terms of passenger numbers, with 78 million in 2017.
- Heathrow Airport halts departures after drone sighting
- Planes at London's Heathrow Airport grounded due to runway lighting failure
- Chief Pentagon spokeswoman announces departure
- More flight delays at Gatwick after new drone sighting
- Trump responds to McGahn White House departure
- 'SNL' mocks Sessions' White House departure
- Want to own a baggage carousel? Contents of Heathrow Terminal 1 auctioned off
- Detienen los despegues de aviones en el aeropuerto de Heathrow en Londres tras avistamiento de dron
- Police hunt drone pilots in unprecedented Gatwick Airport disruption
- How can a drone bring an airport to a standstill?