Melanie "Mel B" Brown is recovering from an accident she says left her with two broken ribs and a hand injury that required surgery.
A representative for Brown told CNN the singer's injuries stem from a fall down some stairs.
Brown said she had to undergo a three-hour surgery to repair an injury to her right hand.
Brown's injuries required her to cancel a planned appearance Monday night at the Strand Book Store in New York City, where she had been scheduled to sign her new memoir, "Brutally Honest," the store confirmed on social media.
"I'm in super safe hands with the care of everyone here at the hospital," she wrote, adding the hashtags "#accidentshappen" and "#timetoheal."
Three of Brown's fellow Spice Girls -- Emma "Baby Spice" Bunton, Geri "Ginger Spice" Halliwell Horner and Melanie "Mel C" Chisholm -- were among her visitors during her medical emergency.
She shared a photo of them by her bedside on Instagram, thanking her "besties" for dropping by.
The Spice Girls announced a reunion tour last month. Victoria Beckham, the fifth original member of the Spice Girls, will not be participating.
Brown, 43, also has served as a judge on "America's Got Talent" and "The X Factor."
- Spice Girls visit Mel B recovering in hospital
- The Spice Girls' Mel B shows off her hand injury
- Spice Girls announce reunion tour
- Will the Spice Girls perform at the royal wedding?
- Spice Girls animated film reportedly in the works
- Victoria Beckham dancing to a Spice Girls song is a thing
- Mel B kept surgically removed skin tattoo of her ex's name
- Prince Philip recovers in hospital after 'successful' hip operation
- Two men accused of selling synthetic 'Spice' drug to minors
- Emma Stone's name change inspired by Emma 'Baby Spice' Bunton