Vanessa Marquez, an actress best known for her recurring role as a nurse on the NBC drama "ER," was shot and killed by police in South Pasadena, California on Thursday, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
Police were called to the 1100 Block of Fremont Avenue in South Pasadena just before 2 p.m. local time on Thursday to perform a welfare check. Upon arrival, Marquez, 49, was having seizures and appeared to be suffering from mental issues, officials told CNN.
Arts and entertainment
Business and industry sectors
Business, economy and trade
Celebrity and pop culture
Continents and regions
Crime, law enforcement and corrections
Crimes against persons
Health and medical
Health care facilities
Southwestern United States
After about 90-minutes of trying to offer Marquez medical help, police said she armed herself with what appeared to be a handgun and police opened fire.
The weapon turned out to be a BB gun, investigators said.
Marquez played nurse Wendy Goldman on "ER" for three seasons, from 1994-97. Though her character never had major storylines, she was sometimes involved in episode subplots, some of which had a light-hearted bent.
Marquez's other credits included 1988's "Stand and Deliver" and "Seinfeld."
- 'ER' actress Vanessa Marquez killed in California police shooting
- Muere Vanessa Marquez, actriz de 'ER', en un tiroteo de la policía en California
- 'ER' actress shot and killed by police
- Vanessa Redgrave Fast Facts
- Qatar MotoGP: Dovizioso beats Marquez in thrilling desert duel
- Rossi slams 'dirty, dangerous' Marquez after Argentine MotoGP mayhem
- Actress makes Emmy history
- 'Clueless' actress Stacey Dash is running for Congress in California
- Donald Trump Jr. and Vanessa Trump are separating
- Actress criticized for Thanksgiving post