Rep. Duncan D. Hunter seemed to shift any blame onto his wife, Margaret, on Thursday for alleged campaign fund abuses, saying she was the one handling his finances.
"She was also the campaign manager, so whatever she did that'll be looked at too, I'm sure," the California Republican said on Fox News.
Duncan D. Hunter
Elections and campaigns
Government and public administration
Political Figures - US
Crime, law enforcement and corrections
Law and legal system
"But I didn't do it," Hunter said. "I didn't spend any money illegally."
Duncan and Margaret Hunter pleaded not guilty Thursday morning to federal charges that they had stolen a quarter of a million dollars in campaign funds to furnish their lavish lifestyle. The Hunters had been indicted earlier this week, accused of spending the campaign money on expenses including a $14,000 Italian vacation, groceries and other household items.
"My campaign did make mistakes," Hunter said in the Fox interview. "There was money spent on things not by me but by the campaign, and I paid that back before my last election."
Hunter, a former Marine, said that when he went to Iraq in 2003 he gave his wife power of attorney and she has handled his finances throughout his military career and time in Congress.
The Hunters are accused of conspiracy to commit offenses against the United States, wire fraud, falsification of records and prohibited use of campaign contributions, among other charges.
- Indicted Rep. Duncan Hunter: My wife handled my finances
- Rep. Duncan Hunter and his wife indicted in use of campaign funds for personal expenses
- Duncan Hunter maintains innocence, likens himself to Trump after indictment
- Indicted lawmaker blames wife for finances
- Indicted Rep. Duncan Hunter is running an anti-Muslim campaign against his opponent
- The 30 most astounding moments in Rep. Duncan Hunter's 47-page indictment
- GOP Rep. Hunter rips DOJ after indictment
- Duncan Hunter's deluded defense is pure Trump
- Rep. Duncan Hunter's chances of hanging on to his seat may go up in smoke
- Duncan Hunter and his wife plead not guilty to charges they misused campaign funds