The local community is rallying behind a military veteran who was attacked and beaten by two off-duty NOPD officers.
Jorge Gomez is still recovering from a beating that sent him to the hospital and left him with a bruised and swollen face.
Two probationary NOPD officers, John Galman and Spencer Sutton, were arrested and fired for attacking Gomez outside the Mid City Yacht Club after reportedly questioning his service record and status as a US citizen.
Now, the Mid City Yacht Club is holding a fundraiser to help pay for Gomez's hospital and legal bills.
"The Mid City Yacht Club will be hosting a small fundraiser for our friend on Saturday the 4th of August," according to an event announcement for the fundraiser. "If you have any goods or services that you would like to donate to a raffle or auction, please contact one of our bar staff or managers with details. All proceeds will go straight to Jorge to help pay for any medical, legal, and living expenses that will undoubtedly build over the next several months while the case is ongoing."
A GoFundMe page has also been set up to raise money for Gomez featuring a picture of Gomez in his military uniform.
Over $2,700 was raised by 42 donors in the first day of the GoFundMe effort, bringing the total more than halfway toward the goal of $5,000.
- Fundraiser planned, GoFundMe set up for man beaten by NOPD officers
- Suspect beaten, blooded by officers
- NOPD investigating multiple shootings over the weekend in New Orleans
- GoFundMe couple, homeless man facing charges
- Homeless man in GoFundMe case arrested
- NOPD: Man arrested for fatal shooting on Mardi Gras parade route
- Federal contract worker: I set up GoFundMe to pay rent
- Contract worker: I had to set up a GoFundMe
- Man beaten with brick on daily walk
- Man beaten by group riding scooters