It's been far too long since we've seen Jennifer Lopez flex her comedy muscles on the big screen, but our wait is almost over.
In Lopez's next film, "Second Act," the trailer for which was released Thursday, she plays a retail worker named Maya who seeks a path more in line with her big dreams and ambitions. Lacking a college degree -- and self-confidence -- Maya's road to a better life seems blocked. That is, until a friend, through somewhat deceitful means, helps Maya score an opportunity she's always hoped would come her way.
The question then becomes how long can she keep up a lie in the name of building the future she always wanted. (Insert your comparisons to the plot of "Maid in Manhattan" here.)
Lopez stars in the film alongside Milo Ventimiglia, Vanessa Hudgens, and Leah Remini.
Lopez's last starring role in a comedy film was 2012's "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and 2010's "The Back-up Plan" prior to that.
"Second Act" is scheduled for release this fall.
- Jennifer Lopez seeks reinvention in 'Second Act' trailer
- Jennifer Lopez Fast Facts
- Happy 50th birthday Jennifer Lopez!
- Jennifer Lopez juggles romance, work and more in 'Second Act'
- Jennifer Lopez recalls sexual harassment early in her career
- Jennifer Lopez to receive MTV's Video Vanguard Award
- Jennifer Lopez rocks VMAs with journey through her musical past
- Jennifer Garner seeks revenge in 'Peppermint'
- Jennifer Lopez sacude los VMA con su presentación y escribe su nombre en la historia
- Mariah Carey's legendary Jennifer Lopez shade was her 'trying to be nice'