They are here to protect and to serve the city but, for four Dallas police officers well, looks like they may have missed that memo.
Sr. Cpl. Edrick Smith has been the focus of an investigation that's been ongoing since 2017, when he was arrested for gambling promotion, bribery, and misuse of official information. He is now facing additional charges which include money laundering and engaging in organized criminal activity.
Three other officers are facing similar charges. Sgt. Shannon Browning faces the same charges as Smith, while Sr. Cpl. Edward Van Meter and Sr. Cpl. Roger Williams are facing charges of gambling promotion.
"In bringing these charges, I would assume, of course we, have no details; but I can assume that there is some pretty good evidence against these individuals. Otherwise, they wouldn't have brought up these charges," Dallas attorney George Rodriguez said.
All four of the officers have now been placed on DPD administrative leave while a full investigation continues.
- Four Dallas Police officers charged after gambling investigation
- Dallas police officer dies after shooting
- Community rallies around Dallas police officer who suffered brain hemorrhage
- Man arrested after 2 Dallas police officers wounded in shooting
- Dallas police seeking warrant for officer after man's fatal shooting
- Dallas cop charged in fatal shooting
- Dallas police officer charged with manslaughter in fatal shooting of unarmed man in his own apartment
- Dallas police officer could face stiffer charge for killing unarmed neighbor, DA says
- Dallas police fire officer charged with fatally shooting man in his apartment
- Dallas police officer who shot man in his own apartment indicted on murder charge