A Cobb County Police officer is behind bars after being arrested for allegedly assaulting a mentally disabled woman during intercourse.
Robert Lanier New is accused of slapping and strangling the woman during sexual intercourse in March. Police say the woman has a mental capacity of a 10 to 14 year-old person.
New also sent text messages to the woman, calling her disparaging names and telling her "I am in charge" and "I am in control."
New is facing a misdemeanor charge of simple battery and a felony charge of aggravated assault.
- Officer accused of assaulting mentally disabled woman
- Officers honored for saving disabled woman's life
- Suspect accused of posing as officer, sexually assaulting women
- Uber Eats driver arrested, accused of sexually assaulting mentally challenged man
- Passenger accused of sexually assaulting sleeping woman on flight
- Woman accuses Kavanaugh of assault in letter to senator
- Ronald Reagan's daughter defends woman accusing Kavanaugh of sexual assault
- Couple accused of keeping disabled daughter in deplorable conditions
- Program helps officers ID riders with 'invisible disabilities'