An Alzheimer's patient is recovering after being pulled from a canal overnight near Vero Beach.
At approximately 11:05 p.m. on Saturday, June 9, 2018, officers from the Indian River Shores Department of Public Safety (DPS) were dispatched to John's Island subdivision on the 500 block of Coconut Palm Road for a reported missing person.
The missing subject was identified as an Alzheimer's patient who had wandered away from home.
Officers and detectives from Indian River Shores DPS, along with personnel from the Indian River County's Sheriff's Office and Indian River County Fire Rescue executed an exhaustive search for the woman. John's Island private security also assisted in the search.
According to Indian River Shores Chief of Police, the search provided no clues until about 1:44 a.m. when officers were sent to a home down the road from her house. During the investigation, they learned that some time ago the victim was found at that residence.
Officers located the woman in the canal behind the house. As they entered the water to retrieve her, she slipped below the surface and did not come back up. They were able to locate her under the water and carry her to a nearby dock where they removed her from the canal.
She was treated at the scene and transported to Indian River Medical Center where she remains in stable condition.
- Alzheimer's patient rescued from canal overnight
- Woman rescued from car in canal
- Alzheimer's Disease Fast Facts
- Elderly Alzheimer's patient beaten at Arvada assisted living community; caregiver facing arrest
- CCFD rescue patient 30-feet above ground in south Las Vegas
- Sleep Quality May Be Linked With Alzheimer's
- Scientists find major breakthrough in Alzheimer's research
- Paralyzed patients walk again
- Children find human remains in canal, police say
- Meet the floating cyclist who cleans up canals