Famed gymnastic coach Bela Karolyi described the Larry Nassar scandal as "a bomb exploding" in the gymnastics world, according to taped comments that aired Friday morning and mark the first public reaction from the coach and his wife on the topic since the disgraced doctor's downfall changed the sport forever.
"The whole thing is just like an explosion, a bomb exploding: Boom," Karolyi told NBC's Savannah Guthrie in the interview for "Dateline," set to air in its entirety Sunday night. Excerpts aired Friday on NBC's "Today" show.
For decades, Bela and Martha Karolyi have run the prominent Karolyi Ranch, a training camp tucked away in southeast Texas that bred gymnastics champions -- along with a fear of then-team doctor Nassar, who some victims say molested them at the ranch.
After a series of high-profile trials and victim testimonies, Nassar was sentenced in recent months to decades behind bars for sexually abusing girls under the guise of medical treatment.
Asked how she feels about claims by some of gymnastics' biggest stars say they were violated on the Karolyi Ranch, Martha Karolyi, who is also a coach, told Guthrie: "That's awful. But I would say, even if they had big names or they have no names, any child who was violated by Nassar, it's a crime and it's so sad."
Guthrie pressed the Karolyis on how it was possible that they weren't aware of the abuse taking place at their facility.
"If you couldn't suspect anything -- I heard during the testimonies that some of the parents were in therapy room with their own child and Larry Nassar was performing this and parent couldn't see -- how could I see?" Martha Karolyi said.
- Coach Martha Karolyi again denies knowing of Larry Nassar's abuse
- Gymnastics coach Martha Karolyi says 'I don't feel responsible' for Nassar abuse
- Larry Nassar victims say Texas isn't seriously investigating Karolyi Ranch
- Larry Nassar's motion to disqualify Judge Rosemarie Aquilina denied
- USA Gymnastics suspends coach with ties to Larry Nassar
- CNN exclusive: In depositions, Karolyis say they knew nothing of Nassar's abuse at their ranch
- Larry Nassar's abuse victims, in their own words
- The fallout from Larry Nassar's sexual abuse is just beginning
- Read prosecutor's statement at Larry Nassar sentencing
- They helped serve justice to Larry Nassar