A Transylvania County deputy shot himself in the hand Monday while trying to fend off a dog attack.
Sheriff David Mahoney said the deputy was answering a disturbance call in the East Fork community when the dog of one of the men involved attacked him. The sheriff said the deputy's gun discharged, hitting the dog and the officer's hand.
The deputy was taken for treatment. There was no word on the condition of the dog or any charges.
- Deputy shoots himself in hand
- Manhunt underway for suspects in fatal shooting of Colorado deputy
- Two suspects still at large in deputy shooting
- Deputies forced to fatally shoot wild boar attacking animals
- Riverview woman shoots, kills husband during argument, deputies say
- Suspect captured in Tennessee sheriff's deputy fatal shooting
- Second deputy dies after Kansas City courthouse shooting
- Deputy helps deliver baby
- Deputies rescue abandoned duckling
- Ranch hands trying to rescue 500