The White House on Wednesday released a 266-word statement from President Donald Trump slamming former chief strategist Steve Bannon after excerpts adapted from a new book quoted Bannon as calling the June 2016 Trump Tower meeting "treasonous." Read Trump's statement:
Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my Presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind. Steve was a staffer who worked for me after I had already won the nomination by defeating seventeen candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican Party.
Now that he is on his own, Steve is learning that winning isn't as easy as I make it look. Steve had very little to do with our historic victory, which was delivered by the forgotten men and women of this country. Yet Steve had everything to do with the loss of a Senate seat in Alabama held for more than thirty years by Republicans. Steve doesn't represent my base - he's only in it for himself.
Steve pretends to be at war with the media, which he calls the opposition party, yet he spent his time at the White House leaking false information to the media to make himself seem far more important than he was. It is the only thing he does well. Steve was rarely in a one-on-one meeting with me and only pretends to have had influence to fool a few people with no access and no clue, whom he helped write phony books.
We have many great Republican members of Congress and candidates who are very supportive of the Make America Great Again agenda. Like me, they love the United States of America and are helping to finally take our country back and build it up, rather than simply seeking to burn it all down.
- Read Trump's official statement about Steve Bannon
- Breitbart after Steve Bannon
- READ: Steve Bannon's full statement on comments attributed to him in 'Fire and Fury'
- Steve Bannon's shameful dog whistle
- Donald Trump 1, Steve Bannon 0
- Steve Bannon may just be right
- Steve Bannon stepping down from Breitbart
- Scaramucci: Steve Bannon was a 'bad hire'
- Did Steve Bannon get this half right?
- Expose Steve Bannon for what he is