Russian authorities say they have detained a suspect believed to be responsible for this week's supermarket blast in St. Petersburg.
The suspect, whose identity has not been released, was detained Saturday, Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) said in a statement. The suspect was under interrogation, the Russian state news agency TASS reported.
18 people were injured in the explosion at a St. Petersburg supermarket
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, but provided no evidence
The explosion took place Wednesday at a Perekrestok supermarket in St. Petersburg. At least 18 people were injured, state-run media reported.
Preliminary information suggests an explosive device containing 200 grams (7 ounces) of TNT was inside a locker at the supermarket, state-run media said.
Shortly after the explosion, Russian President Vladimir Putin called the incident a terror attack.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the blast, saying it was carried out by an ISIS "security detachment." But so far, ISIS has not given any evidence supporting its claim.
St. Petersburg, Russia's second-largest city, has been a target for at least one other explosion this year. Fourteen people were killed and dozens more were injured on April 3 when a suicide bomber detonated explosives in the city's metro system.
The April explosion, which has been linked to terrorism, occurred on a passenger train traveling through a tunnel in the city's center.
- Suspect detained after St. Petersburg supermarket blast
- St. Petersburg explosion: Putin says blast was terror attack
- Europa League: Zenit St. Petersburg's fiery welcome
- Nutella discount sparks chaos in French supermarkets
- Russia detains US citizen
- Detained Americans Fast Facts
- Women in supermarkets want same pay as warehouse workers
- UK supermarket chain ditches palm oil. Who's next?
- Walmart sells its UK supermarket business in $10 billion deal
- Top Australian supermarket backs down on plastic bag ban