Rep. Adam Schiff said Thursday he's concerned Republicans are working to end the Russia investigation.
"I think they view shutting us down as a prerequisite to shutting Bob Mueller down," Schiff said on CNN's "The Situation Room." "And we see some very disturbing signs that that's what they intend to do."
In the interview, Schiff noted several Republicans who were critical of special counsel Robert Mueller during a hearing on Wednesday with Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.
And when CNN's Wolf Blitzer asked the Democrat from California if he feared Republicans were attempting to pave the way to shut down the investigation, Schiff replied: "I do."
"We are scheduled to have witness interviews out of state at a time next week when we'll be voting to keep the government running, when we'll be voting ... potentially, on this tax bill for the wealthy, so we can't leave to do these interviews, and nonetheless even though these witnesses are very important and have been on our witness list for months and months and they haven't been willing to bring them in until now, they're pulling these kind of tactics, which say to me they're trying to bring this to an end," Schiff later added.
CNN previously reported that the House Intelligence Committee has two interviews scheduled for next week in New York.
Schiff serves as the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, which is looking into Russian interference in the 2016 election.
The House Intelligence investigation is just one of several looking at any potential ties between the Trump campaign and Russia from the 2016 election.
- Schiff concerned Republicans are working to end the Russia investigation
- Schiff: We'll get answers Republicans didn't
- Schiff 'very concerned' Trump might fire Rosenstein
- Trump: I don't want Republicans to shut down Russia investigations
- URGENT - The Russia investigation
- Cruz: People outside DC are not concerned with Russia investigation
- House Republicans release redacted Russia report
- READ: Republicans express concern over 'thoroughness and impartiality' of Clinton and Russia probes
- Schiff: We're working with FBI to redact Democratic memo
- Here are the times Republicans tried to undermine the Russia investigation