Despite our biting temperatures, children, some homeless in West Fargo are wishing for coats instead of toys this year.
It all started with a chance encounter.
"I had overheard a lady on the phone, and what she said was devastating to me," said Carla Pribula, West Fargo Parent.
Carla Pribula, a West Fargo mom saw a woman buying dozens of coats for kids at Eastwood Elementary, that's when Carla felt she needed to help.
"I pulled out $20 dollars and I handed it to her, and I said this is all I have right now, but I have clothes at home and I can drop them off," said Carla.
She didn't stop there.
Carla posted on the NextDoor app, telling people in West Fargo the elementary students without proper winter gear.
Many people responded and offered to help.
Since then, school workers say they got a recent surge of donated gear; bags of coats, hats gloves and more filling the classrooms.
Although there are some schools like Eastwood that have collected more than they can store, there are still others in the district in need of winter supplies.
"We have kids riding to and from school every day, so standing outside waiting for the bus, it's cold. So, yeah, I get a lot of requests for winter gear," said Bridget Hins, Homeless Liaison.
They say the items they need most are heavy coats, insulated gloves and snowpants, so far the pair has over 50 coats to give.
"This is stuff that still needs to be gone through," said Hins.
This year alone, West Fargo Public Schools found out 90 of their students are homeless, kids who don't wish for toys under the tree, but the essentials.
"There's some people who have reached out to me to get gifts for students, and when I ask for their needs and wants, it's always needs, never wants," said Hins.
From parents to administrators, West Fargo is working to keep kids warm for the rest of our winter.
If you want to donate winter gear to a West Fargo school, administrators want you to call first to find out what they need specifically.
- Locals team up to give homeless youth winter clothing essentials
- Obamacare's 'essential benefits' explained
- 5 essential Burt Reynolds movies
- Essential places to visit in Johannesburg
- Giving new moms paid leave is essential. But so is helping them return to work
- This is one essential truth about the Dallas shooting
- Verizon says its media brand is essentially worthless
- Youth soccer team unites against racism
- Ivanka Trump closing clothing company
- Student receives $110,000 in donations to start youth homeless shelter