Original Publish date: Feb 14, 2017
CARROLL COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Two bodies have been found on the edge of Deer Creek near Delphi, and authorities said foul play is suspected.
During a press conference Tuesday afternoon, Sgt. Kim Riley announced two bodies were found a mile east of Delphi on the edge of Deer Creek around 12:15 p.m. Tuesday.
There has not been positive identification so information concerning identities will not be released at this time.
Although identities remain unknown, the bodies were found less than a mile upstream from the Monon High Bridge where 14-year-old Liberty German and 13-year-old Abigail Williams were last seen Monday.
Riley did say the search efforts for the missing girls have been drastically scaled back and the families were thankful for all the community support. He would not release any connection to the missing girls though.
Riley said the area is being treated as a crime scene and foul play is suspected. Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby said he is treating this as a death investigation at this time.
Delphi Police Chief Steve Mullin said he's leaving it up to the community to decide how they want to react to the news.
"I think people are smart enough in our community to draw their own conclusions about what they should feel and what they shouldn't feel," Mullin said. "Our people are very smart, and it's a very good community, and they're very strong, and they're able to draw their own conclusions about this whole situation quite successfully."
Around 7:30 p.m., Sgt. Riley said via Twitter those at the scene were going home, and an autopsy is scheduled for Wednesday at 8 a.m. in Terre Haute.
Carroll County Sheriff's Office is being assisted in the investigation by the Delphi Police Department, Indiana State Police and the FBI Crime Group from Indianapolis.
News 18 will continue to follow this story and have more information on WLFI.com once it's available.
- Two bodies found outside Delphi; foul play suspected
- Delphi property owner speaks to News 18 after bodies found in backyard
- Memorial service honors Delphi teens
- First Christmas after the Delphi double homicide
- Dr. Phil to discuss Delphi double homicides
- Delphi double homicide scaling back investigators
- Delphi one year after the double homicide
- Delphi teen records suspect before her death; police hope it leads to arrest
- Tips, reward increase since suspect audio released in Delphi double homicide
- ISP release video, additional audio and a new sketch of the Delphi Homicide suspect