Original Publish date: Feb 15, 2017
CARROLL COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Police announced two bodies found Tuesday just outside of Delphi were those of two teenage girls who were reported missing Monday.
The bodies of Liberty German, 14, and Abigail Williams, 13, were found around 12:15 p.m. Tuesday in the woods about 50 feet from Deer Creek. That's less than a mile upstream from the Monon High Bridge – where they were dropped off.
The girls were in the area to explore the Delphi Historic Trails. Family dropped them off, but the girls didn't arrive back at their pickup location Monday.
Community members helped police search all night for the girls Monday and into Tuesday. It was eventually volunteers who finally discovered the bodies Tuesday.
Autopsies for both girls were conducted in Terre Haute Wednesday morning. Indiana State Police Sgt. Kim Riley said Terre Haute was the closest city with the capabilities to handle the autopsies.
Riley said no cause or manner of death can be provided at this time, but he did confirm the case is being investigated as a double homicide. He said authorities are urging residents to use caution, keep track of their children and report anything unusual to authorities.
"There's somebody out there, somewhere," Riley said. "We don't know if it's a person who came in and left, or if it's somebody in the neighborhood."
Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby said there are no suspects as of yet.
"We're going to get to the bottom of this. We feel confident," Leazenby said. "And we're going to do everything within our resources to reach justice in this situation."
Police are asking anyone with information to come forward, especially if they saw a vehicle or a person or persons in the area of the Delphi Historic Trails on Monday afternoon. Please contact the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office at 765-564-2413, the Delphi Police Department at 765-564-2345, opt. 1, or the Indiana State Police at 765-567-2125.
- Police confirm bodies found in Carroll County are missing teen girls
- Community continues to search for missing teens in Carroll County
- Search underway in Carroll County for two missing girls
- Police: Hundreds of tips, no leads, following discovery of bodies in Carroll County
- Community comes together during candlelight vigil for Carroll County teens
- Community reacts to Carroll County double homicide
- Stone memorial bench unveiled in honor of 6 Carroll Co. girls
- Two bodies found outside Delphi; foul play suspected
- Police seek to identify man photographed in area teens were found dead
- Carroll Co. community hopeful police are close to solving double homicide