LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Indiana State Police First Sgt. Jerry Holeman graduated from the 270th session of the FBI National Academy Program. He started the 11-week training program in October.
The training offers courses in advanced communication, leadership and understanding terrorism. However, Holeman also brought back valuable investigation tools for two local high profile cases.
"I'm very excited and ready to bring back what I learned and put it to use," said Holeman.
He spent 11 weeks in Quantico, Virginia at the elite program. Less than one percent of U.S. law enforcement officers are selected.
"It sounds like a lot [officers] 222, but there is so many police officers in this, both international and national," said Holeman.
Holeman is one of many lead investigators in the Delphi double homicide. Because of his work on the case, it didn't take people long to recognize him.
"Being passionate and working hard on all of the cases I think was beneficial to me in being nominated," said Holeman.
He has also worked diligently on the Flora fire case that killed four young girls. He said at the conference he learned vital tools to help with those investigations.
"And put it to good use in future cases and maybe even go back and try to do some things in some of the cases that we're working that are open," said Holeman.
He was one of four selected to go from Indiana. A West Lafayette Police officer was also selected.
"It was a good 11 weeks to think about my position and what leadership role I have and what can I do to better the people who work for me and with me," said Holeman.
President Donald Trump gave a speech to the officers during the conference. President Trump made it clear in his speech that he backs the men and women in blue.
- Delphi homicide case manager graduates from FBI National Academy
- Reducing tips to 'manageable number' in Delphi double homicide
- FBI searches Peru home in relation to Delphi double homicide
- New sketch released in Delphi double homicide case
- ISP names person of interest in Delphi homicide case
- Police: Delphi homicides far from cold case; 18K tips received
- First Christmas after the Delphi double homicide
- Dr. Phil to discuss Delphi double homicides
- Delphi double homicide scaling back investigators
- Delphi one year after the double homicide