MUNCIE, Ind. (WISH) - A day after a Muncie couple was charged in the death of a 5-year old police, are still trying to find the child's biological parents.
Investigators believe the child's biological mother is still in Haiti.
The couple alleges they voluntarily took the 5 year old into their care after the child's father abandoned her.
As Charlene and Marcus Tabb sit behind bars those who live in the neighborhood where the child died are showing sympathy.
Balloons, stuffed animals and candles decorate the front lawn of the home on the 10000 block of North Brady Street.
Brittany Wortham and her 4-year-old daughter left a stuffed bear at the home. Wortham said she is using the disturbing death to warn her daughter about abuse.
"I need her to know that it is not OK for somebody to put their hands on a kid and torture them and beat them," Wortham said. "Kids were not brought into this world to be beat … and punched like punching bags."
According to the probable cause affidavit, the autopsy revealed severe injuries. One line of the report said, "A baseball-sized open wound, approximately 3 inches deep, was located in M.P.'s left buttock, and was packed with paper towels."
Plus, she had more than 80 documented signs of abuse on her body. Her hands appeared swollen and puffy, and her injuries infected.
Charlene, 29, and Marcus Tabb, 53, were gone when the child was found dead. But Charlene's siblings, ranging from five to 14, were home.
Police say the couple moved to Muncie from Miami last summer.
Investigators are still trying to figure out why.
A southern Indiana man has been sentenced to 65 years in prison for fatally shooting a woman who he claimed had scammed him out of $20,000 with a false relationship.
Several Muncie residents are asking the state Department of Education to force the city's school district to continue bus service for students despite the defeat of a proposed property tax increase to pay for its costs.
A large fire destroyed a southern Indiana restaurant, with flames soaring high through the roof as it burned overnight.