BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) — A jury has been ordered to restart deliberations from scratch on its third day of weighing evidence in the trial of a Georgia man charged with killing his father and seven others inside a mobile home.
Superior Court Judge Stephen Scarlett said Friday one of the 12 jurors in the trial of Guy Heinze Jr. had been excused and was being replaced by an alternate juror. The jury now consists of nine women and three men.
Scarlett did not say why the juror was excused. On Thursday, the jury reported a 9-to-3 deadlock but agreed to keep working toward a verdict.
Jurors have been sequestered at a hotel since Oct. 15.
Prosecutors say Heinze clubbed all eight victims to death on Aug. 29, 2009. Defense attorneys say he's innocent.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
State police and the Indiana Department of Transportation say public safety is being endangered by metal scrappers.
People across Indiana are bundling up against colder temperatures than parts of the state saw in either of the past two winters.
An attorney for a southern Indiana man charged with murder in the death of his 20-year-old nephew says the shooting was an accident.