TIPPECANOE COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) - Tippecanoe School Corporation (TSC) has chosen its 2013 Teacher of the Year, who will go on to compete with teachers across the state for the honor of Indiana Teacher of the Year.
First-grade teacher at Battle Ground Elementary School Denise Erickson has been selected as the school corporation's teacher of the year.
Each school selects a teacher of the year winner and submits that name for consideration. TSC says Erickson was selected from a group of 19 school winners.
The other winners within TSC were:
• Kimberly Deckard from Brunett Creek Elementary
• Julie Storms from Cole Elementary
• Cindy Taylor from Dayton Elementary
• Jeffrey Toll from Hershey Elementary
• Joyce Sheets from Klondike Elementary
• Lee Sweet from Mayflower Mill Elementary
• Michelle Helms from Mintonye Elementary
• Sara Wright from Wea Ridge Elementary
• Jennifer Tilley from Woodland Elementary
• Kelly Garrett from Wyandotte Elementary
• Beth Rivas from Battle Ground Middle
• Dana Crum from East Tipp Middle
• Jody Vanderwielen from Klondike Middle
• Kelly Peckinpaugh from Southwestern Middle
• Jill Dardeen from Wainwright Middle
• Jessica Strawsma from Wea Ridge Middle
• Dana Ruhl from Harrison High
• Gloria Grigsby from McCutcheon High
Erickson is the 25th teacher to be recognized as TSC Teacher of the Year. She has been teaching with TSC for 20 years and began her career in 1992 at Battle Ground Elementary in the same first-grade position she holds today. She got her bachelor's and master's degrees from Purdue.
One student was in critical condition Friday after reports of a shooting at a high school in suburban Denver, hospital and state officials said.
An avionics technician from Kansas was arrested Friday as he planned to drive a vehicle full of explosives into a terminal at Wichita's Mid-Continent Regional Airport, authorities said.
A Chicago man who pleaded guilty but mentally ill to murder in the New Year's Day beating death in northwestern Indiana of his former wife shortly after their divorce has been sentenced to 50 years in prison.