LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - Firefighters say a resident whose house was on fire was able to get out and bring his dog to safety.
It all happened shortly after 4:30 p.m Wednesday on the 1500 block of Central Street on Lafayette's south side.
Firefighters say the dog was pawing at the door when the man came home from school. He went inside, smelled some smoke and went to investigate.
Lafayette Fire Inspector Pat Grimes says the resident "went back to the room where the fire started and got a face full of smoke, was pretty lucky that's all he got."
He says it's not what he advises people to do if they find themselves in a similar situation.
"Absolutely not. We always encourage people when you smell smoke, get out, call the fire department. We can come. If it's something, great, we'll take care of it. If not, it's not a big deal," Grimes says.
Firefighters say it took about 10 minutes to get the fire under control. They say the fire damage is limited to the bedroom.. that room is a total loss.
Grimes says it doesn't appear like there were working smoke detectors in the home.
Nelson Mandela, who became one of the world's most beloved statesmen when he emerged from 27 years in prison to negotiate an end to white minority rule in South Africa, has died.
More than 300 adults students working to get a high school diploma have a new home in Lafayette.
The Tippecanoe County Magistrate Sean Persin announced his candidacy for Superior Court 5 Thursday night in front of more than 60 people at Adelino's in Lafayette.