COVINGTON, Ind. (WLFI) - Police said negligence not a factor in two-year-old Arik Norwell's death at a Fountain County bowling alley.
Covington Police Chief Larry Weber said paramedics were called to the Sycamore Lanes bowling alley around 6:40 PM Friday evening. When they arrived, they found the toddler was not breathing.
Chief Weber said the cause of death was determined to be respiratory arrest due to anaphylactic shock. Anaphylactic shock can be caused by bee stings, spider bites, or from a food allergy.
Chief Weber said it's unclear yet what type of toxin the child encountered to cause his death. He said a toxicology report will be released in a few weeks and will shed light on what happened to the boy.
Chief Weber said the child was with his father at the time inside the bowling alley, where he works. He said there was no negligence on the part of the boy's father, and police will not be pressing any charges. Weber said the man did everything he could for his little boy.
"The medical staff that did respond, even those from the air ambulance, told us that everything that could be done, had been done," said Chief Weber.
Chief Weber said services for Arik Norwell were held Wednesday at the Pape Funeral Home in Danville, IL at 1:00 PM.
People across Indiana are bundling up against colder temperatures than parts of the state saw in either of the past two winters.
A northwestern Indiana planning board is expected to vote on whether to move forward with building the proposed Illiana Expressway that would connect Interstate 65 near Lowell with Interstate 55 south of Chicago.
An attorney for a southern Indiana man charged with murder in the death of his 20-year-old nephew says the shooting was an accident.