LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - If you're preparing to turn on your furnace for the first time, there could be some costly risks.
Service Manager at Korschot's Heating and Air David Kensinger said if not properly checked, gas furnaces could cause carbon monoxide issues.
Kensinger also said electric furnaces can cause electrical fires if their ignition system is not checked.
He said if you want to change a filter on your furnace that's fine, but if you don't know what you're doing call a professional.
"Furnaces today are very high-tech," Kensinger said. "There is a lot of things going on and a lot of times we've seen some people cause themselves some more problems than trying to solve them by taking care of it on their own."
Kensinger said if you plan to keep it cooler in your house to save money, look into purchasing a humidifier to keep your house comfortable.
A large fire destroyed a southern Indiana restaurant, with flames soaring high through the roof as it burned overnight.
A 22-year-old Elkhart man has pleaded guilty to two counts of murder in the shooting deaths of the owner of a northern Indiana convenience store and an employee.
Indiana University has officially released its request for site proposals for a new medical school facility in the Evansville area.