KOKOMO, Ind. (WLFI) - Property owners in three Indiana counties most affected by last month's flooding will get some relief thanks to corporate donors and a state relief fund, but they won't see any help from the Federal Emergency Management Association.
Indiana Department of Homeland Security spokesman John Erickson said Thursday that the damage in Tipton, Howard and Grant counties wasn't enough to warrant a federal disaster declaration.
"We were the hardest-hit county," Howard County emergency Management Agency director Larry Smith said. "The numbers from the other counties were not sufficient to qualify for FEMA assistance."
Gov. Mike Pence earlier this week asked the U.S. Small Business Administration to provide low-interest disaster loans for flood victims.
Chrysler and Duke Energy also have made donations to help victims. The Kokomo Tribune reported Thursday that the automaker presented two checks totaling $50,000 to the United Way of Howard County and the Tipton County Foundation. The donation came a day after a $10,000 donation by Duke Energy.
Tipton Mayor Don Havens said local governments may still be eligible for FEMA help with cleanup costs. Individuals may also qualify for up to $5,000 from the Indiana Disaster Relief Fund.
Kokomo qualified as a federal disaster area in 2003. FEMA received 2,035 applications for individual assistance that year from Howard County residents. Not all of those applications were accepted.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Indiana Governor Mike Pence (R) proposed a pre-K voucher program as part of his 2014 agenda. The program would give underprivileged children access to pre-K programs.
A former Frankfort middle school principal is arrested for his part in what police call a child sex abuse case.
West Lafayette police have arrested one of the men they say robbed a restaurant while armed with a machete.