ELLETSVILLE, Ind. (AP) - A southern Indiana couple says their dog helped them escape unharmed from a house fire that was apparently sparked by a backyard grill.
The couple says their 7-year-old labradoodle, Macy, began barking Sunday afternoon just before they heard a loud roar. They fled their rented home in Ellettsville with the canine.
The home's owner, Lou Shelton, tells The Herald-Times the dog may have smelled gas leaking from a propane tank on the grill.
Ellettsville Fire Chief Jim Davis says the fire that destroyed the home about 45 miles southwest of Indianapolis appears to have started at a propane cylinder and barbecue grill behind the home. He says the residents had recently used the grill and were storing another propane cylinder in a nearby shed.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
A former Frankfort middle school principal has been charged in a multi-state child sexual abuse case.
The Indiana State Fire Marshal's Office wants residents to be aware of fire hazards involving Christmas trees and decorations during the holiday season.
Governor Mike Pence and executives from Allegion announced Wednesday morning that the company will base its North American headquarters in Carmel, creating up to 100 new jobs by 2014.