LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - This WLFI Staff Favorite recipe comes from the kitchen of Erin Coduti, our New Media Executive Content Producer.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large bowl, mix the sugar and shortening together, then stir in the molasses and egg.
- After this is well-mixed, mix in the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Mix in the flour and chill dough for one hour - longer and the dough will become more difficult to roll out.
- Rolling the dough is the most challenging part. You can use flour on your surface and the top of the dough to keep it from sticking, or you can roll it out between pieces of parchment paper. Roll to approximately 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut with cookie cutters and place onto parchment paper on cookie sheets. Preheat oven to 350 F
- Bake for 6 to 10 minutes, until firm.
- Frost, decorate, and enjoy!
Giving this recipe a try? Leave a comment to let us know how it turned out, share a cooking tip, or suggest a variation on the recipe!