NEWTON COUNTY, Ind. (WLFI) — Jury selection started Monday in a triple homicide trial in Newton County.
Twenty-five-year-old Derrick Cardosi is on trial for the deaths of Justin Babbs, Kimberly Spears and Richard Thomas.
He's charged with three counts of murder, auto theft, and theft. Cardosi also faces two felony counts of assisting a criminal.
He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
In August of 2016, police were called to a home in Sumava Reports. They found three victims stabbed to death.
Derrick Cardosi, who lived 500 feet away from where the murders took place, was arrested Aug. 31. A witness claims to have seen him at the scene in the days following the murder.
Sebastian Wedding was arrested after a witness picked Wedding up from a Cedar Lake home he was staying in after the murders. The witness allegedly saw Thomas' silver Mercury in the driveway.
Wedding pleaded guilty to two counts of murder last year and was sentenced to 55 years in prison.
- Jury selection starts in triple homicide trial
- Jury selection underway in Carroll County homicide trial
- Police investigate triple homicide
- Police investigate triple homicide near
- Trial opens for widow of Pulse nightclub shooter as jury selection begins
- Man charged with murder in triple homicide sentenced
- Wedding sentenced to 55 years for triple-homicide
- Neighbors bewildered by arrest of woman in triple homicide
- Newton Co. jury recommends life without parole in triple murder case
- Triple stabbing reported in Lafayette