LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — Giving back to the community is in Mary Pat Short's blood. The Scotland native is being named a "Woman of Wisdom" in the YWCA's Salute to Women Ceremony Tuesday night. Don't let Short's accent fool you, Greater Lafayette is her home.
Since she was a young girl, Mary Pat Short has wanted to work in the arts.
"But my parents insisted I go for an academic education," said Short. "So, that put the kibosh on it."
However, Short's role as Treasurer of Greater Lafayette's Art League has fulfilled her love for the arts as well as the passion of those like her.
"My interest is in the scholarships and the ability we provide to young people to see art, appreciate art and have an opportunity to do it," said Short.
She doesn't have kids of her own.
"The only children I have are other people's, OP's, which I love," said Short.
She helps a lot of area children by serving as Chair of the Lions State Project, supporting the Indiana School for the Blind.
"We do a lot in our community, the biggest thing is screening vision," said Short.
During her 25 year career with Great Lakes Chemical, Short was placed on several non-profit boards.
"I think corporations, when they do that, they open the door to many people to experience and give back to their communities," said Short.
Short learned this from her father.
"We weren't rich but his attitude was there were always people in a worse position than you, you need to give something back to folks to help them," said Short.
If you don't have time or money to give, this woman of wisdom says words of encouragement go a long way.
"If somebody has an idea and you are in the position to promote it give them credit," said Short. "Let them shine. We all shine at that point."
Short said women have a lot more opportunities in 2018 but ultimately it's up to women to ask for what they want.
Short will be honored Tuesday night at the Trails Banquet Facility in West Lafayette.
To the left is a portion of Short's official Bio.
- Why Pat Short is a Woman of Wisdom
- Carolyn Jones named a YWCA Woman of Wisdom for 2018
- Sally Watlington recognized as a 'Woman of Wisdom' by YWCA
- Looking Unlucky for St. Pat's
- Tippecanoe County Prosecutor Pat Harrington runs for re-election
- Prosecutor Pat Harrington defeats Earl McCoy in Tippecanoe Co.
- Purdue women fall short to Minnesota 78-74
- 7:15 PM Short-Range Forecast
- Bill limiting short term rental regulation approved by House
- Indiana lawmakers back limits on short-term rental rules