WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — The city of West Lafayette continues to encourage the community to "go green".
For a few years, families have responded by making their properties eco-friendly.
Mayor John Dennis envisioned an eco-friendly West Lafayette a few years ago.
"I went to the Go Greener Commission saying, 'Hey guys, how can we make this place better?'" he said.
The result? The Go Greener Garden Award.
It's given to local homeowners who go above and beyond.
"It's always a work in progress," said Ian Lindsay. "So, I kind of put in a brick lining around here. We have the sort of geometric shapes."
Lindsay and his family won the award for their elaborate front lawn, which is more of an ecosystem now.
It's just one of the environmentally friendly homes Dennis said promotes a better community.
"It sends sort of a message," Dennis said. "We've always been proud about how we treat our environment here in West Lafayette."
The Lindsay's yard does a little more than please the eye.
"Get the kids into gardening and kind of see where food comes from a little bit and get rid of some of the lawn," he said. "I mean,
people are pretty obsessed with their lawns."
With less lawn, comes more opportunity.
"Produce is a really good way of eating fresh and healthy and raising kids in that sort of environment as well," Lindsay said.
However, a front yard garden is not something you see every day.
"We put ours in the front yard because it's facing south," Lindsay explained. "We have to go where the sun is."
The Go Greener Garden Award brings out a passion in families like the Lindsays.
"You're like, 'Okay, when the thaw happens, what am I going to plant and what kind of things am I going to grow?" he said.
The Lindsays were the first-ever winners of the Go Greener Garden award. They are currently expanding the garden on their West Lafayette property.
- West Lafayette family wins Go Greener Garden Award
- Lafayette receives "Stormwater Award"
- Carsen Edwards wins Jerry West Award
- '352' Blood Drive honors West Lafayette family
- Lafayette Jeff, West Lafayette schedule football series
- West Lafayette pools open Thursday
- Lafayette boy receives award for saving lives
- Lafayette teacher receives Distinguished Hoosier Award
- LPD: Man arrested after attempting to rob Lafayette Olive Garden
- West Lafayette leaf pickup begins Tuesday