WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) -- Veterans across the country were honored Saturday. That includes a special celebration at the Indiana Veteran's Home.
The community teamed up to honor those who have served. Colors were presented while the veterans took in memories of their time serving our country. Students from the area submitted poems to be read at the ceremony.
The event took place in the MacArthur Auditorium at the Veteran's home. Superintendent Linda Sharp encouraged those who attended to strike up a conversation with a veteran.
"We set aside to have a big program to show them how much we appreciate their sacrifice and dedication," said Sharp. "These guys have amazing stories to tell and, like I said in the program, I hope people stay around and talk to them because their stories are amazing."
Col. Lynn Scheel of the Air Force Reserve was key note speaker for Saturday's celebration.
- Veterans' Home honors those who have served
- Veterans Home takes time to honor, remember fallen soldiers
- Vietnam veterans honored with special ceremony
- Local veterans return on their Honor Flight
- Bed bugs found at Veterans Home
- Water main break reported at Veterans Home
- American Legion welcomes home Vietnam Veterans
- Volunteers plant trees at Indiana Veterans' Home
- Veterans visit capital on final Honor Flight of the season
- Donations being collected to honor veterans for Wreaths Across America