WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) - The fastest U.S. street-legal cars will soon be built at Purdue University's Discovery Park.
Keating Supercars LLC made the announcement Tuesday.
The company will build the Vipera Berus on campus. It can reach speeds of more than 230 miles per hour.
A showroom will open on the west side of campus at Purdue West in late May.
Students with Purdue's Motorsports STEM program will also be involved.
"It gets a little bit more hands on that we can use the students. There's possibilities to bring students in to work actually in the facility and to learn how to construct and build and what the process is about to do all of this," said Danny J. White.
The company plans to build about 100 cars a year at Purdue. They will sell between $180,000 and $250,000 dollars. For each car sold, $30,000 will be donated back to STEM education.
- Supercars to be built at Purdue's Discovery Park
- Purdue launches Keating Supercar showroom
- 300 high-tech jobs coming to Purdue's Discovery Park
- 30-year master plan for Discovery Park revealed
- Discovery Park Project takes another step forward
- New developments possibly coming to Discovery Park District
- Demolition of old housing unit begins in Discovery Park
- Purdue University's Horticulture Park reopens
- Traffic stop leads to discovery of drugs
- Concussion research leads to new discovery