Lafayette, Ind. (WLFI) — A community center on the south side is nearing completion.
The River City Community Center will be located at the old Pay Less off Beck Lane. River City Church's STEAM academy opened a few months ago and a food pantry will open soon.
After talking with residents and community leaders the church learned the area was in need of a food pantry. The building will also serve as a community engagement center. A place where people can receive information on health conditions, as well as help with job searches and housing.
"While this project isn't yet done, we've made a lot of progress in terms of making sure we are going to be offering things that are wanted and needed by the people that live in this community," says lead pastor Robby Bradford.
Fundraising for phase two of the community center will wrap up in March and renovation will begin shortly after.
The River City Church food bank will open in early January.
- Southside community center opening right on schedule
- No arrest made in Friday's southside shooting
- Community center project on track
- Community center hosts New Year's Eve Spectacular
- Rensselaer holiday trash schedule
- Frankfort holiday trash collection schedule
- Purdue releases spring football schedule
- Community input still needed for West Lafayette's proposed rec center
- 4th district congressional debate at Faith Community Center
- FEMA opens disaster recovery center for flood victims in Delphi