LAFAYETTE, Ind. (WLFI) — This Saturday you can ditch the comfort of your own bed to help the homeless in Greater Lafayette. The Sleep a Night on Our Streets event is being hosted by the PATH Street Outreach team.
It will be held at the First Christian Church parking lot in Lafayette located at the corner of 6th and North Streets.
Organizers say even if you don't plan on sleeping outside, you're invited to come out for the first half of the night. From 6 p.m. to midnight there will be activities and education to learn about homelessness.
For those staying, you're encouraged to build makeshift shelters using cardboard or you can bring your own tent to sleep in.
"We just want the community to know that there are indeed quite a few homeless people that are out in our community," said event organizer Kurt Harker. "Some of them are sleeping outside yet this time a year. So, we really want to be able to help them and we want the community to be involved in that."
The PATH team will collect backpacks, sleeping bags, warm socks, winter coats, and gear. The items will be distributed to homeless people throughout Greater Lafayette.
"Roughly about 100 people are homeless in our area this time of year," said Harker. "Some of those folks are sheltered. We have local shelters, emergency shelters, but there's probably a dozen or so that are not sheltered and so they're out there now."
Those who plan to stay overnight need to register. Sleep A Night On Our Streets wraps up Sunday morning at 6 a.m.
To register, email Sheri Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kurt Harker at email@example.com.
- Sleep a night outside to benefit the homeless in Greater Lafayette
- Greater Lafayette's growing pains
- Spreading hunger and homelessness awareness in Greater Lafayette
- Bird scooters invade Greater Lafayette
- Frost Advisory issued for Greater Lafayette
- Helping keep the Greater Lafayette community warm
- Greater Lafayette sees first snowfall of season
- Dangerously Cold Conditions Return to Greater Lafayette
- Wind Chill Warning for Greater Lafayette
- Greater Lafayette Commerce hosts construction update luncheon